The Best Dog Treats For German Shepherds
We think that the best treats are all-natural, whole foods like carrots or homemade peanut butter oatmeal balls. Its simply, really, just take some all-natural peanut butter, mix it with oat and freeze it.
If youre a no-grain family, you can replace it with a pumpkin.
However, if youre looking for a convenient treat to give during training, heres a favorite of ours.
Best Wet Food For German Shepherds
It is quite well known by dog owners that dry food is the most preferred type of food for German Shepherds, in fact for all dog breeds. However, wet food also has some of its advantages. Because of this dilemma, new owners often become confused if to feed wet food or dry food to their German Shepherds and finding the best wet food for German Shepherds can be more difficult.
Which Foods Should I Avoid Feeding My Dog
Some foods are harmful to dogs, including chocolate, caffeine, grapes, raisins, alcohol, avocados, and certain sugar alternative sweeteners, such as xylitol. Some fruits that contain pits or stones should also be skipped, as the stone is considered poisonous to dogs.
If youre concerned that your dog may eat food accidentally, its best to store them separately or where your pet cant reach them.
Don’t Miss: German Shepherd Dna Test Results
Should I Feed Wet Food Dry Food Or A Combination Of
Dry food and wet food are both considered suitable for German Shepherd puppies. You can combine them both. But you need to start with wet food once the German Shepherd puppy is weaned from its mother. The digestive system is used to milk. So, dry food can cause digestive issues initially. Start with wet foods, and then you can gradually move to dry food. You can start offering dry food when your puppy becomes 12 weeks old, which is about the age a puppy is when you bring it home. Once you introduce dry food, you can make it the prime source of food since dry food ensures better energy and strength.
What Is The Best Wet Dog Food To Feed A German Shepherd
Wet food has its benefits, too. For one, it has greater water content, so if you live in a hot climate or your dog isnt getting enough water, wet dog food can help them stay hydrated. The higher moisture content also helps dogs feel more satisfied and may be helpful when it comes to weight management.
Dogs that have trouble chewing can also benefit from wet dog food. There are a lot of reasons that dogs might have a hard time with kibble, whether theyre missing teeth or have a misaligned jaw.
When dogs get older, they often start to lose their sense of smell and may find kibble unappetizing. Wet food has a richer smell and flavor that may encourage a dog with a poor appetite to eat a little more.
Purina is a well-known pet food brand, and its Pro Plan wet dog food for large and giant breeds is a great choice for a German shepherd. Its formulated for dogs over 50 pounds and made with real beef and other high-quality proteins and brown rice for easy digestion.
Each ingredient in this canned dog food was chosen for a specific nutritional purpose, giving German shepherds and other large breeds 100 percent of the nutrients they need to thrive. This recipe supports every part of your pets body, supporting bone and muscle growth, healthy joints, and a strong immune system. It also contains omega fatty acids for skin and coat health.
Read Also: Best Dog Food For Older German Shepherds
Best Wet Dog Food For German Shepherd: Pedigree Choice Cuts In Gravy With Beef
Most of the recommended food in this review are dry foods. However, some dogs adore wet food and prefer it over dry food. This is because wet food is generally easy to absorb and digest for many of them. The Pedigree Choice Cuts in Gravy With Beef Canned Dog Food is the best-wet dog food in this review. It is affordable, nutritious, and very tasty for dogs. It provides a well-balanced diet for your GSD and contains many essential oils and minerals.
|Pedigree Choice Cuts in Gravy With Beef|
Purina Beyond Natural Grain Free Ground Wet Dog Food
Image courtesy Purina
Purina Beyond Natural Grain Free Ground Wet Dog Food is a delicious and nutritious wet dog food. It’s made with real meat, vegetables, and fruit.
This recipe is grain-free and free of artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. It’s also high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
What Is Soft Dry Dog Food
Soft dry dog food refers to a category of ready-to-consume dog food. It is neither dry hard kibble nor wet gravy. Such food is given to senior dogs who have trouble chewing or even younger dogs that seem to not enjoy regular kibble.
Soft dry dog food comes in a variety of tastes and textures that are made to boost the appetite of your dogs. You have the option of a meal consisting of entirely soft and chewable food or go for one that adds a little bit of hard kibble to keep things crunchy. This type of semi-moist dog food is great when youre traveling with your pooch since it has the required nutrients and creates no mess at all.
Now, more pet parents are shifting to semi-moist soft dry dog food because of multiple reasons. For one, a lot of dogs prefer wet dog food over dry kibble because of its similarity to actual meat because its tasty and easy to eat. However, wet dog food comes with its own set of disadvantages, it can be messy and may need to be refrigerated. It is far fussier than dry kibble which can be bought and stored in large quantities without much problem. Soft dry dog food combines the advantages of both and creates a great palate for your pooch.
The Best Supplements For German Shepherds
One of the best ways to address your German shepherd’s unique nutritional needs is to add all-natural, air-dried supplements to their diet. Supplements can fill in nutritional gaps and help support your GSD’s overall health.
Here are some of the best supplements for German shepherds:
In a meta-analysis of studies on osteoarthritis in pets, omega-3s for dogs were found to have the highest amount of evidence to support their effectiveness. For the highest concentration of omega-3s, choose a fish oilsupplement made from wild-caught pollock and salmon, like this Omega Oil.
Joint Relief Supplement
Inflammation can contribute to joint pain and deterioration. A Relief Supplement is made with natural anti-inflammatory ingredients, like turmeric, antioxidants, and green-lipped mussels . It can help keep your German shepherd feeling good into their golden years.
A probioticsupplement helps support German shepherds digestion, especially if they have sensitive stomachs. Probiotics can promote digestive health by adding beneficial bacteria to your dog’s digestive system. In veterinary studies, probiotics showed promise for addressing a variety of doggy digestive issues.
Don’t Miss: German German Shepherd Puppies For Sale
Choosing A Good Brand
There are a lot of well-known dog food brands out there, and its hard to know which ones are worth it.
One of the best things to do is to talk to your vet about brands they recommend for the best dog food for German shepherds. If your dog has a health condition and requires special food, your vet will be able to tell you what your dog needs. If your dog is healthy, its still worth asking the vet for their opinion to help narrow down your choices.
Look at online reviews to make sure other people who have used the food are happy with their results. There are also some brands that offer a satisfaction guarantee so theres nothing to lose if you try it and your dog doesnt like it.
Benefits Of Feeding Wet Food To German Shepherds
- Wet food mostly comes in cans and is already known canning is a preferred way to store nutrients. It is fresher than dry kibble food. They generally contain fewer carbohydrates, fillers and preservatives.
- Wet food as compared to dry food is easier to digest because of the lesser content of preservatives and fillers. This is one of the most important reasons why German Shepherds can be fed wet food as they have a weak digestive system.
- The aroma and freshness make wet food more appealing to German Shepherds. Since wet food contains moisture wet food becomes more palatable to GSDs. Owners who have picky eaters can feed wet food to their pets easily.
- With ageing, some German Shepherds develop some diseases like Maxillofacial trauma and periodontal disorders and because of this reason, chewing food becomes very difficult for them. In such cases, wet food can be a food alternative as it is easier to chew and swallow.
- Wet foods can be a good source of daily hydration. It can keep your dog hydrated and keep him free from several kidney diseases or organ stress.
- One another surprising advantage of feeding wet food is it aids in weight loss for bulky dogs. Because of the moisture content, eating a little quantity of wet food would make your dog feel fuller and thus prevent him from over-eating. This does not mean feeding him lesser than recommended levels by your veterinarian.
Read Also: Do German Shepherds Like Swimming
Different Types Of Gsd Puppy Food
One of the most confusing parts in choosing food for our GSD puppies is the type of foods available in the market. Listed here are the different types of food for GSD puppies.
Wet food as its name suggests, has a very high moisture content making it easier for nutrients to be absorbed by GSD puppies and can help hydrate their tiny bodies. It is suitable for recently weaned puppies and picky eaters since it is easy to chew, more appetizing and has a meatier taste.
Dry food or kibbles are the most popular type of GSD puppy food because it is more convenient and easy to clean up after. It is packed with more carbohydrates, protein and has high-calorie content. Thus, it can be served in smaller amounts of every meal. Since kibbles are chewy, it promotes oral health and makes GSD puppies teeth strong and healthy.
Based on its name, semi-moist food are similar to wet food but with a moisture content of only 60% to 65%. This is also a good option for puppies who are picky eaters or have a hard time eating kibbles. Some brands of semi-moist food for GSD puppies have high sugar and salt content. So, it is best for owners to be careful when buying semi-moist food for their fur babies.
Dehydrated Food and Freeze-Dried Food
Gaining popularity in recent years, organic food is the healthier choice. Its ingredients dont contain any chemicals, hormones or antibiotics.
German Shepherd Dog Daily Feeding Guide
Muscular large-breed dogs like German Shepherds have some particular feeding guidelines to follow.
Although the number of cups per day will vary slightly depending on what brand of dog food you pick, these dog food feeding guidelines for German Shepherds are reasonable estimates for how much food you should be feeding your GSD.
For a more accurate estimate, simply look at the back of your dogs kibble bag.
Note that these are daily suggestions, not per meal. You should split the number of cups per day into as many meals as you need.
|Increase amino acids which can be found in protein|
|Concurrent GI Signs||Avoid foods with tryptamine and histamine such as dairy or fermented vegetables and meats try a simple ingredient food trial|
|Chronic Itching and Dermatitis||Fortify the diet with Vitamin E, B Vitamins, Zinc, omega-6 and the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil add a dog probiotic try a simple ingredient food trial|
|Dull Coat and Scaling||Adjust EPA and DHA levels in the diet try a food that has added zinc|
|Dandruff and Crustiness||Add Zinc and Vitamin A levels|
Pro Tip: If your German Shepherds develop coat or skin problems such as dry skin, a dull shedding coat, hot spots, or itching and irritation, you can add a couple of squirts of fish oil to their food. Doing this will provide relief and nourishment to keep skin and coats healthy.
Also, never supplement extra calcium into a large breed puppys diet. Too much calcium encourages hip dysplasia earlier in life.
Don’t Miss: How Did The German Shepherd Breed Start
Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
To reach the full nutrition level and potential, we should choose the best retriever brand puppy food from the beginning of their growing up. This one is a portion of completely balanced diet food for the retriever pups to adults.
This is the real chicken and turkey flavored dry dog food. There is raw chicken and turkey present, so this food is extremely nutritious and savory for pooches. Contained of high protein and low carb, this one is comparatively better than any leading dog food brand.
Retrievers are pretty large breed dogs who can get sick very easily if not taken care of fully. This dog food was made by keeping the necessities of retrievers in mind.
- Ingredients: Made with Chicken, Duck, Turkey & Pheasant, Natural flavors, Fish oil & vegetable oil, vitamins, dried peas, and pea starch.
- Protein-rich: Real chicken is the #1 ingredient, so high-quality protein comes from sed healthy chickens.
- Wheat-Free: Its 100% free from any gluten, grain, or wheat-free ingredients that are missing, its an easily digestible dry dog food.
- No Poultry: This food has no poultry by-product meal, artificial preservatives, colors, artificial flavors, or other harmful artificial things.
- Feeding Direction: From pups to adults to mom dogs to patient dogs, all of these dogs can consume this food. Contact the vet to know the proper amount of food you should give your pooch.
- The meaty rich flavor which any dog will find tasty.
Woofwell Golden Retriever Health Supplement Soft Chew Dog
This chicken formula retriever dog food Walmart is specifically made for adult retriever dogs. The food is filled with protein and minerals. It promotes the immunity system and makes the coat of their body shiny and healthy.
If you research retriever dog food recall 2021, now or even before, this one is always on the superior list. There is a special reason for this. Many of you may ask, is retriever dog food good for other breed dogs? Yes, this retriever dry dog is perfectly suitable for any other dog breed which is a bonus.
It improves the bone joint, immune system, and also healthy digestion. The customers stated that the formula ensures what the pooch needs and helps them to live a longer, happy and healthy life. Now, lets check out some important features of the product.
- Real chicken is the main ingredient, so its high in protein and tasty.
- Suitable for all breeds of adult dogs.
- The best digestible formula with less carbohydrate.
Don’t Miss: What Dog Is Like A German Shepherd
Royal Canin Specialized Dog Food
Royal Canin Specialized Dog Food is specially designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred adult German Shepherds aged 15 months and older.
It offers a unique kibble shape which is particularly designed for a German Shepherds long, strong mouth and teeth to encourage chewing.
Moreover, it also includes highly digestible proteins and specific fibers that promote healthy digestive performance and optimal stool consistency, as this breed is inclined to have poor stool quality.
The healthy nutrients, such as EPA and DHA, from fish oil, reinforce the skin barrier and help to maintain skin and coat health. This adult German Shepherds dog food contains glucosamine and chondroitin to support big dogs healthy bones, joints, and cartilages.
- Formulas are 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Kibble is designed with a specific shape, size, and texture for the dogs facial and jaw structures.
- Added glucosamine and chondroitin maintain bone and joint health and support large breed bodies
- It promotes a healthy heart due to the addition of fish oil.
- It is great in taste.
- Not suitable for dogs with allergies
This dog food for German Shepherd is applauded for its nutrient-rich formula that supports bone and joint health, maintains healthy skin and coat, and supports digestive health. However, few buyers criticized it for its inflated price.
Royal Canin Specialized Dog Food
German Shepherd Puppy Feeding Chart
6 Week Old German Shepherd
- At this age, it is crucial to ensure your puppy is receiving the same nutrients as if they were being fed by their mother
- Ideally, a 6 week old puppy should still be feeding from their mother
- It is tricky to replace the micro and macro nutrients that a puppy receives from their mothers milk, as well as any antibodies
- They are growing very fast, so they need enough nutrients to sustain their growth
10 Weeks Old
- As puppies are weaned off, the amount of puppy food they require increases
- They need to be fed at least 3 times a day
- To help their little bodies with the transition from mothers milk to puppy food, it is best to start with wet food
- Using wet food helps to prepare their digestive systems for whole food, which will be introduced to a puppys diet in time
- Again, they are growing very fast, so they need enough nutrients to sustain their growth
12 Weeks Old
- Around 12 weeks of age, the transition from wet to dry food begins
- Ensure the transition is in small steps, to avoid causing any upset to the puppy
- As a guide, start with a 10% dry food, 90% wet food mix and increase the dry food by 10-15% each week after that
- They need to be fed at least 3 times a day
3 Months Old
5 Months Old
- Additionally, around 4-5 months of age introduce some live animal products into their diet such as actual bone, raw eggs and liver
- They need to be fed at least 3 times a day
- As a guide, feed them a total of 1-2 cups of dry food a day
1 Year Old
Don’t Miss: How To Draw A German Shepherd Sitting