Popular Types Of German Shepherd Harnesses
German Shepherds are powerful and muscular dogs, so the most popular harness types for this breed include the following:
- Hiking harnesses Hiking harnesses are usually made of strong yet lightweight and breathable materials, and often have features like handles to help you control your dog, and carrying pouches that make it easy to carry waste bags, treats and other accessories. German Shepherds love being active, so a hiking harness is a great choice if you like to go on adventures with your pup.
- No pull harnesses No pull harnesses typically use an O-shaped ring on the front of the harness, which prevents your dog from pulling ahead of you. As your German Shepherd strains and pulls, it will naturally be directed to your side, which helps discourage this negative behavior.
- Walking harnesses Simple walking harnesses often just consist of two straps of fabric or leather, and are secured in place in seconds, making them the best choice when youre just going on a quick walk with your German Shepherd, and you dont need the extra utility of a hiking or no-pull harness.
- Escape proof harnesses German Shepherds are extremely intelligent, and have a tendency to be escape artists! A loose harness could be easily shrugged off by a GSD, so specially-designed, escape proof harnesses are a great option if youre the proud owner of a canine Houdini who likes to get out of its harness!
Onetigris Military Adjustable Dog Collar
While searching for the best dog collars for a German Shepherd, make sure to notice that it is comfortable and provides your dog solid comfort. This One Tigris adjustable dog collar is wide and thick enough to comfortably fit around your dogs neck.
The thick nylon strap has thick cushion padding on the inside that allows your canine friend to wear it for a long time without any irritation on the skin. Its ergonomic design is super user-friendly, and you can easily attach your dogs ID tag with it.
Hurtta Padded Dog Harness
This dog harness may look casual and simple, but its great for active German Shepherds who love to explore. The padded neoprene design is comfortable and wont restrict your GSDs movement when they are running and playing. Does your dog like to get dirty in the mud or wet on the beach? This Hurtta dog harness is machine washable and convenient cleaning! 3M reflectors add a safety element for this harness, which any pet parent can appreciate. We suggest this dog harness for German Shepherds who enjoy extensive outdoor exercise.
Read Also: German Shepherd Vs Rottweiler Who Would Win
What If My Dog Pulls On A Harness
According to the PDSA 2019 PAW report, about a quarter of all owners who adopt a dog from a shelter complain that leash pulling as the most common behavioral problem they face. This is certainly a frustrating issue that can drain all the fun out of walking your dog.
The simplest method to deal with a pulling dog is to use an excellent no-pull harness.
In addition, behavioral modification through positive training techniques can work together with your harness to keep your dog walking calmly and politely at your side.
Dog Harness No Pull Reflective Walktofine Comfortable Harness With Handlefully Adjustable Pet Leash Vest For Small Medium Large Dog Breed Car Seat Harness Grey Xl
- EXTRA LARGE DOG HARNESS: Suit for NECK GIRTH: 19-31, CHEST GIRTH: 20-39of dogs.
- EASY TO USE AND FULLY ADJUSTABLE: with 4 easy Adjusting Straps around the body5s ease using, putting on and taking off.
- SAFER & MORE COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Made of durable Nylon Oxford , dont worry dog chew it, padded with updated longer STRAPS , provide a more comfortable experience for your dogs in the long run.
- NO PULL, NO CHOKE: Our Anti-Pull Dog Harness with 2 zinc-alloy rings on dogs chest and bacK are for securing leash attachment, which allows you to walk your dogs conveniently.
- Please measure your dogs chest circumference at the same location as the picture shown on the left.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Your German Shepherd To Stop Biting
Icefang Tactical Dog Harness
The ICEFANG Dog Harness is a true military-grade piece of equipment and we love this harness for tactical work. The alloy metal buckles are tested and proven to hold 1,000 pounds of pressure. The stitching is an X in a box pattern on each joint and heavy load point. Your German Shepherd can pull extremely hard on this vest and he will not slip away.
Adjustable points give a custom fit so your dog does not slip out of the harness. The 2 leash connection points give you the choice of redirecting your dogs pulling power or giving him an easy walk if he doesnt pull . If needed, the handle on the back gives you full control. It is double-stitched and highly durable.
Two 1 strips of Molle sewn into each side allow your dog to carry gear in pouches. You can also use carabiners to attach toys, water bowls, and other gadgets to your dogs harness.
Collars Made Of Nylon
Since it is both economical and durable, nylon is the most preferred material for dog collars. Nylon is a synthetic material that is resistant to water and wear. Nylon collars, particularly conventional hues, come in a broad range of colours and designs, so you may pick a style that you prefer.
While nylon is terrific for regular usage, it can get grubby and nasty with time, so you should change your nylon collar every year or two.
Read Also: Can German Shepherds Drink Milk
Dog Harness Sizing Chart
Fit your German Shepherd puppy with an appropriate collar or harness and a leash for his size. Give him a little bit of time to explore and sniff the leash. Attach it to his collar or harness and let him walk around the house getting used to the weight and how it feels Best answers. At around 6 to 8 weeks old, a puppy should be given a little moistened dry food with water or unseasoned chicken stock between nursing sessions. From the eighth week onward, the German Shepherd should be weaned and start feeding on solid food with special puppy feed. Answered By: Norene Kihn. Date created: Tue, May 11, 2021 1:54 AM For a proper fit measure around your dogs neck for a collar and for a harness measure around their chest and allow for a few fingers of play for comfort. breed neck size weight Afghan 16-22 58-64 lbs. Airdale 16-22 42-46 lbs. Australian Shepherd 16-22 35-75 lbs. Basset Hound 16-22 40-60 lbs. Beagl 3. 2 Hound Freedom No Pull Dog Harness. The 2 Hound Harness is a well-made harness that provides multiple ways to stop dogs pulling behavior. This harness is made from a high-quality material with a soft velvet lining on the part that goes under your German shepherds front leg area, which helps to avoid chafing
Dont Miss: How Rare Are White German Shepherds
Dog Girth Sizes By Breed
For the best harness fit for your dog, watch our video on Measuring Your Dog for our Step-in Dog Harnesses
The list below provides aexamples of some dog breeds* and their approximate weight that would correlate to our harness sizes. If there is any uncertainty about your dogs size, Give us a call at our toll-free number listing at the top of this page. We’d be happy to help!
Note: Harness sizing can vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. One brands “small” differs from another brands “small” just like with human clothing. To ensure the proper fit, measure your dog with a soft tape rule for accurate measurement. Our video shows exactly where and how to measure your dog’s girth. If you do not have a tape rule, go by your dogs actual weight.
NOTE: Weights & Girths noted below are approximate. If you are unsure of the size you need, please contact us & we will help ensure you get the correct size.
X-Small Dog Harnesses
You May Like: How To Draw A German Shepherd Step By Step Easy
Types And Styles Of Dog Harnesses
There are several types of dog harnesses and vests, with a walking or no-pull harness being the most common for everyday dog owners:
No Pull Walking Harness
Designed to allow you to easily walk your GSD and minimise pulling, while maximising control by the owner.
Excellent for preventing injury to your GSD, while giving comfort to both the dog and walker .
No Pull harnesses are flexible in their application and can also be used for training your GSD.
Using A Head Halter To Prevent Pulling
The head halter is helpful for strong, powerful dogs that require more control.
It does, however, take longer for your dog to get used to wearing it, unlike a body harness that is more readily accepted by most German Shepherds.
Its also easier than you think to injure your dog if you use harsh leash corrections with this head collar. Despite being powerful dogs, with improper leash corrections, the head halter can do more damage than a regular collar.
How to Use the Head Halter Correctly
- Dont jerk the leash or pull your dog along with the head halter. This isnt the correct use of the tool.
- A slight, gentle pull is all it should take to lead your dog in the right direction or to gently pull their head toward you if they walk ahead.
- Dont tug the leash on the halter up too high since this stretches their neck in an improper way.
Halters themselves are not cruel or painful, but like any training tool, they can cause irritation when they dont fit appropriately and are uncomfortable for your GSD to wear.
This learning curve can be too much for some owners and too uncomfortable for some Shepherds. Many GSDs wont readily accept the head collar and some owners will quit too early out of frustration.
Getting a good fit thats comfortable to your dog makes all the difference in the ease of use and training.
If you use a head halter, then use the Gentle Leader to start with. The way its constructed prevents excessive pressure on your dogs face and the bridge of the nose.
You May Like: Easy Step How To Draw A German Shepherd
How Do I Weigh My Dog
For most dog owners, the easiest way to weigh your dog is to step onto the bathroom scale and weigh yourself. Then get off and climb on again, this time holding your pooch. Deduct your weight from how much you weigh together, and you are left with your dogs weight.
Of course, if you happen to own a four-pound Teacup Bichon Frise, you can probably make use of your kitchen scales and it would be adorable.
On the other hand, some of us own dogs that are far too big to pick up, at least without slipping a disc. In this case, the best thing to do is to go in to see your vet, who will be able to weigh your dog with their specialized veterinary scales.
Crate And Harness Size
As far as the harness goes, dont order it online. I always took my pups to the store and have them size it for them. You might end up with a small adult harness, or a large puppy harness. Depends on her size. I always liked these harnesses because they have wide straps and dont irritate. Youll have to measure your dog when you get it, I dont know any stores that sell this. And he will out-grow it every couple weeks.
Recommended Reading: How Much Exercise Does My German Shepherd Need
Recommended Reading: How To Draw A German Shepherd Puppy Easy
Why Is The Size Of A German Shepherds Collar Important
Since a German Shepherd is a large dog with a distinctive head shape, selecting an appropriately fitting collar is crucial. Your dogs collar is where you keep important information like their ID tag, phone numbers, and medical information. Thats why, whether hes rushing through the woods or squeezing into small spots, fit is so essential for comfort and ensuring that the collar stays on.
Your German shepherd will have a thick neck that ranges from 18 to 24 in length concerning the size of the skull. Shepherds can fall out of their collars if they are not correctly fitted. A 1-inch to 1.5-inch broad collar will keep a powerful dog from sliding loose.
Icefang Gn5 Lightweighting Tactical Dog Harness With 2x Handle
- Size & Care instruction] 1:Please choose right size base on ICEFANG size chart , Medium Large X-Large 2:This Harness is not to be used with a tie out 3:Burn and solidified the end of strap if necessary ,Make Sure the end of strap is not fraying 4: Washing: Hand-wash with detergent, rinse with clean water, allow to air dry.
- FITS MORE DOG BREED]: Harness was designed by Putting 3 Individual Components Together ,Offer 7 Position Adjustable ,Free adjust Properly Make Sure This Harness is Fit Well to Your Dog.
- MOLLE/ PALS CARRYING ]:Two 1 Strips of Molle Sewn Onto Both Side,Allow Your Dog to Carry Gear in Training / Daily Walking/Adventure Hiking, it Compatible with Molle /PALs Pouch,You Can Aslo Hook Dog Bowl,Water Bottle and Toy Through D shape Carabiner .
- DOG IDENTIFIED]:Hook and Loop Panel Sewn onto Both side of harness(Size :Medium:3x 7.
- EASY ON OFF :Over Head Type]: Slide the Neck Strap Over your dogs head ,position the harness on dogs back properly,MAKE SURE The Harness DO NOT CUT Dogs neck ,DO NOT RUB Dogs Armpit Foreleg ,then lock the belly quick release buckle.
You May Like: Shepherd Dog Size
Tips For Getting Your German Shepherd Accustomed To Using A Harness
German Shepherds are intelligent, curious, yet powerful dogs that will take you for a walk if you havent adequately trained them to walk on a leash. A harness is a great way to help them learn not to pull too much and exhibit control.
Here are some tips to help your German Shepherd grow accustomed to using a harness.
Tips For Picking The Best Harness For Your German Shepherd Dog
- Forever ensure that you know the size, and it is excellent you buy the saddle bigger than little anyway once you know your pets size, you will get the best fit.
- If it is your primary time buying a harness for your German shepherd and you are pretty sure of the total objective, you should ensure to get one with three d-rings, back and front.
- Get a harness with fast snap buckles for simple handling
- Getting hands-on handy on it is an impressive additional spec as well.
- Plastic D-rings are not best and powerful enough to withstand German shepherd pulls.
- Try to get one that is machine washable.
- If you love to walk in dark hours, you should keep in mind getting one with the reflectors.
- For fantastic comfort, ensure the harness has padded cushions as well.
Recommended Reading: Why Is My German Shepherd So Skinny
Top Harnesses For German Shepherds
After careful consideration and research, we feel that these are the best harnesses for German Shepherds you can find. Each listing explains the pros and cons behind every product while highlighting their benefit to the breed.
Keep in mind that this is by no means an exhaustive list. Depending on what your plans are for your GSD, your needs may vary. If your dog is a trained service dog, the need for a vest is going to be higher than just a basic no pull dog harness. Lets take a deeper look at our favorite models.
Leash Attachments And Handles
There are three types of leash attachments: front clip, back clip, and multi-clip. Front clip harnesses have their leash attachment in the front of the dogs chest, and the back clip has the leash attachment in the back. Multi-clip has both.
And, some have handles on the back, which is a great feature for large dogs where you might need more control.
Read Also: Full Grown German Shepherd
Materials And Fabrics Of Dog Harnesses
When it comes to materials of harnesses, theres really only one worth worrying about for most owners and dogs :
Nylon is really the best material for dog harnesses very durable, lightweight and strong.
Nylon is a man-made fiber, so it comes in different colors.
Nylon is waterproof, so it doesnt deteriorate from water damage, shrinking, and it also dries out easily.
Its also easy to keep clean and wash to rid odors.
With a German Shepherds thick fur, there is little to no chafing or unnecessary rubbing to irritate your GSDs skin.
Different German Shepherd Harness Materials
Harnesses for German Shepherds and most other dog breeds are typically made out of one or more of the following materials.
- Nylon Due to its stretch, water resistance, and strength, nylon is a top choice for German Shepherd harnesses, and most harnesses incorporate at least some nylon material in the straps.
- Polyester Polyester, like nylon, is an artificial fabric that is very strong, durable, and water-resistant, and holds up well to wear and tear, making it another top choice for use in German Shepherd harnesses.
- Leather Leather is a good option for German Shepherd harnesses. High-quality leather is very strong and durable, and a leather harness can easily last for decades with proper care. In addition, the thick coat of a German Shepherd means it wont be affected by the rubbing of leather, unlike some short-haired dogs.
- Cotton Cotton is organic and wont irritate the skin or fur, so its often incorporated into harness straps or padding, and there are some 100% cotton harnesses out there. However, its not quite as strong as nylon or polyester.
- Mesh Mesh is usually made of a nylon or polyester blend. Mesh harnesses are very breathable and flexible, making them great if you have a German Shepherd and live in a warm climate, where a traditional, bulky harness could be too hot.
Read on to learn more about the key components of a harness for a German Shepherd, and then see our top 9 picks for the best German Shepherd harnesses!
Don’t Miss: Pitbull Terrier Vs Rottweiler