Potential Health Benefits Of Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a concentrated source of nutrition that may offer potential health benefits. One study showed that eating peanuts every day can decrease the overall risk of death by up to 21% and reduces the occurrence of heart disease by 38%.;
However, peanuts are high in calories and, while they contain good fats, too much can be a bad thing. Moderate your intake to avoid unwanted weight gain or health problems caused by excessive fat intake.;
As long as you exercise portion control, research suggests peanut butter offers the following health benefits:;
Improved Heart Health
One of the main fats in peanut butter is oleic acid. When substituted for other fats in your diet, oleic acid is shown to help maintain good cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure. Managing these levels in your body can lower the risk of heart disease.;
Peanut butter also contains omega-6. This fatty acid lowers bad cholesterol and increases protective cholesterol. In addition, peanuts are a natural source of arginine, an amino acid that may prevent heart and vascular disease by promoting good blood vessel function.;
Reduced Risk of Diabetes
Oleic acid also been shown to reduce the bodys insulin resistance, a condition that raises your blood sugar and leads to diabetes. Research shows that peanut butters omega-6 content may have this same effect as well.;
Aid in Weight Management
Can I Give My Puppy Frozen Banana
Because bananas are safe for dogs, some commercially manufactured treats and pup-cakes feature bananas. Here are a few homemade treats featuring bananas that your dog might enjoy: Frozen Slices of Bananas: Slice up bits of bananas, freeze them and give them to your dogs as a treat. Perfect for summer!
Looking For German Shepherd Dog Treats For Training Or Just A Chew For Your Puppy
Its so important to not only have something tasty to keep your puppys attention during training but to also offer your puppy a snack for when they need to chew or even just because you want to show them affection and love.;
Every snack should add to their overall health and fitness. This is true for adult dogs, and not just puppies.;
The best dog treats for German Shepherds shouldnt cost you a fortune, but dont look for the cheapest thing you can buy either.;
Stay away from:
- high fat or high calorie treats
- artificial colors
If its really cheap then theres probably a reason, and you should ask yourself if your GSDs health is worth it before feeding it to them. Aim for a list of ingredients that your athletic dog needs and adds to their health.;
Remember to follow these tips for training treats and chews, especially for German Shepherd puppies with smaller mouths:
- ALWAYS pick the right size for your German Shepherd puppy and supervise them when eating
- Smaller pieces are best for training your GSD as you can quickly give them a reward
- The best chew treats for German Shepherd puppies help to clean their teeth while providing a low-calorie snack and helps them relieve their teething pains
- Opt for limited ingredients if your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach or youre unsure how your dog might react
Check with your vet when in doubt and discontinue feeding if you notice any changes in your GSD
You May Like: Can German Shepherds Eat Tomatoes
How To Safely Feed Peanut Butter To Your German Shepherd
The best peanut butter for your German Shepherd will be a brand you trust that your veterinarian endorses.
When in doubt, it is always a good idea to ask your veterinarian for their recommendations.
Rather than feeding peanut butter as the sole treat food, consider adding it as a coating on a favorite chew toy or into a recipe for dog treats, such as dog biscuits or peanut butter pops.
This limits the portion of peanut butter but still gives your dog all that rich peanut butter flavor that they love.
How Many Nuts Are Toxic To Gsds
Only a small handful of toxic macadamia nuts or black walnuts may be sufficient to cause serious problems to your German Shepherd.
Dogs of different sizes may react differently, or some dogs may be able to tolerate a higher dose of the poison:
Dogs have shown signs after ingesting 2.4 g of nuts/kg body weight
Also Check: What Size Dog Collar For German Shepherd
Its Fun To Watch Their Excitement
Sometimes, theres no better reason to give your dog some peanut butter than to give them a random treat thats sure to make them happy.
Some dogs will go crazy with just the scent of an open jar, while others will happily perform tricks for a lick. Either way, its fun to watch them go silly for a treat they love.
Why Is Peanut Butter Good For Huskies
- Peanut butter is one of the many treats you can give your husky that has a high-calorie content.
- Even one tablespoon of peanut butter can contain as much as 100 calories more than enough to give your husky an energy boost when they need it.
- One tablespoon or two teaspoons of peanut butter per day are considered safe to feed your husky, provided they dont suffer from diabetes or any other medical conditions.
- Niacin is one of the most beneficial vitamins you can give your husky to keep them in optimal health.
- Niacin is more commonly known as vitamin B3.
- What niacin does break down complex fats and sugars to help the body release energy.
- Niacin is also adept at helping your huskys body produce digestive enzymes or stomach acids, thereby making the digestive process easier.
- Protein should ideally be one of the main components of your huskys diet.
- It not only helps your dog build up their muscles, but it also helps their body repair and maintains their muscles as well.
- Besides, adequate-protein intake can ensure your huskys immune system stays fully functional and equipped to deal with a host of diseases and illnesses.
- Since peanut butter is a great source of protein, its no surprise that its considered to be an ideal treat for huskies.
Recommended Reading: When Do German Shepherd Puppies Lose Their Baby Teeth
What Types Of Peanuts Are Safe For My Dog To Eat
The best peanuts for dogs are not the delicious, salted kind that most people prefer. Dry-roasted , unsalted peanuts are the only peanuts that are actually safe for dogs to eat, although your dog will probably be fine if he manages to scoop up a salted peanut or two from the floor. However, salted peanuts contain more sodium than your dog needs and can be harmful to his health if ingested in large quantities, so it is best to avoid feeding salted peanuts to dogs. This is a reason why some owners prefer to make their own peanut butter. Homemade peanut butter allows owners to control the amount of oil and sodium that goes into the recipe, and it also eliminates the growing risk of xylitol poisoning.
Peanuts also contain high levels of fat. This can cause digestive upset and even pancreatitis if your dog eats high-fat foods like peanuts on a regular basis or in large quantities.
What Are The Risks Of Peanut Butter For Huskies
Yes, huskies can safely consume peanut butter, but in moderation. Consuming too much peanut butter or the wrong kind of peanut butter can do more harm than good for your husky.
Let us discuss some of the harmful effects of peanut butter for huskies below:
This is pretty much the worst-case scenario when it comes to letting your husky consume peanut butter. Seizures, staggering, or collapsing can be caused by your husky consuming peanut butter that contains xylitol.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener the overconsumption of which can even prove fatal for your husky. If youve let your husky consume xylitol, youll need to seek out medical assistance immediately.
In certain cases, your husky can even develop rashes or other kinds of skin irritation after theyve consumed peanut butter. Bald spots also can be cause for concern post peanut butter consumption.
Peanut butter is rich in healthy fats but too much of it can lead to obesity for your husky. Youll need to monitor their daily peanut butter consumption carefully to ensure theyre able to maintain an optimal weight and size to keep them active.
Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood sugar too could be one of the many internal problems associated with peanut butter consumption for your husky. If your dog already suffers from low blood sugar, you should consult a medical professional before you get them started on peanut butter.
Don’t Miss: What Type Of Food Do German Shepherds Eat
What Makes Peanuts & Peanut Butter Good For German Shepherds
Before you find out why peanut butter can be deadly to your german shepherd, here are the reasons you should consider feeding peanuts to your dog. After all, theyre both filled with a lot of nutrients.
- Protein is one of the main building blocks needed in your german shepherds diet. Its responsible for repairing muscles and helping them grow, as well as building other tissue.
- Just like carbohydrates and fat, its also going to provide your german shepherd with the energy they need to move around.
- Its also going to help your pups body create hormones and enzymes that keep the body regulated and healthy.
- Lastly, protein keeps your german shepherds immune system strong, so theyre a lot less likely to become sick!
- Magnesium is one of the key ingredients needed to help your german shepherds body work. It helps their heart to beat, muscles move, and nervous system signaling.
- As well as this it also facilitates the energy production in your dogs cells, which are necessary for movement.
- If your dog doesnt have enough magnesium in their diet, theyre at an increased risk of suffering from heart arrhythmia, diabetes, kidney problems, and muscle tremors.
- The right amount of Zinc is necessary for making sure the immune system isnt overactive or underactive.
- It also helps your german shepherds digestive tract.
- It has an important role in thyroid function too.
The Best Treats For A German Shepherd Puppy
German Shepherds are an athletic powerhouse full of energy and ready to work.
But, if you try and buy the cheapest treats for your puppy it will show in their attitude and behavior.
The best German Shepherd puppy treats:
- contain natural ingredients
- add to your puppys health
- smell enticing
- are the best size for your puppys age
Treats filled with sugar and salt or questionable animal byproducts could cause your German Shepherd to feel sluggish and act irritable.;
You May Like: How Big Is A 3 Month Old German Shepherd
Peanut Butter: Can Eat
Peanut butter is a healthy and safe treat for dogs to eat in moderate amounts.
However, it is best to limit your dogs peanut butter intake. Since peanut butter is high in fat and calories, it may lead to weight gain if he eats too much .
Also, make sure to feed your dog plain, unsalted peanut butter. Peanut butter commonly has extra ingredients added to it, such as salt, which could be harmful to your dog (
Recovery Of Peanut Butter Allergies In Dogs
Once you have discovered that your dog is suffering from a peanut allergy, do not feed him peanut butter or peanuts in any form. Avoid all treats or foods that contain peanuts or peanut butter; your veterinarian may also recommend that you avoid nuts altogether.
If your veterinarian chose to perform specific allergy tests, he may have found that your dog is allergic to other items in addition to peanut butter. If this is the case, remove these items from your dogs diet immediately unless he has been safely consuming them before testing .
Once your dog is home from the hospital, in the case of a severe peanut butter allergy, or home from the veterinarians office visit, be sure to follow your veterinarians instructions on how to care for your dog at home. He will also alert you to any other symptoms you need to watch out for, including any side effects from an antihistamine or steroid if this medication was given to your dog. If you have a prescription for an antihistamine or a topical ointment, be sure to follow the instructions carefully on how to administer the medication properly.
*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.
Peanut Butter Allergies Average Cost
From 323 quotes ranging from $200 – $800
Is Orijen Dog Food Good For German Shepherds
So, the clear winner: NomNomNow, which provides freshest dog food with restaurant-quality ingredients.
I also highly recommend Whole Earth Farms and Wellness Large Breed dog food for less active or senior dogs.
Finally, Orijen is another great choice for German Shepherds, especially if your dog is a picky eater.
Why Are Nuts Bad For German Shepherds
Does your dog go nuts for nuts? I know I certainly do! There are many varieties of nuts that are a good source of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals for humans.
Their mix of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fiber certainly helps to suppress my appetite and makes me feel full, which is why I find a small handful of nuts to be a quick healthy snack.
So, why are nuts bad for dogs?
- Most nuts are bad for dogs and can be very harmful. You and I have already learned that macadamia and black walnuts can be highly toxic. In addition to this, all types of nuts contain high amounts of fats and oil that can cause an upset stomach as your German Shepherd finds it hard to digest fat.
- Some dogs may also develop pancreatitis due to the high fat and oil content. This is a very painful condition and although your dog can receive treatment for pancreatitis, severe forms can prove fatal.
- If your German Shepherd should eat nuts once they have turned moldy on the ground then this becomes an additional danger as foods like moldy walnuts contain mycotoxins which can cause weakness or lethargy.
- A specific mycotoxin called aflatoxin can cause liver failure in dogs. Symptoms of moldy food poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, incoordination, high temperature, tremors, and seizures.
You May Like: What Age Can A German Shepherd Get Pregnant
Why Theyre Pawsome:
- This single ingredient formula is suited for the pup with food allergies or sensitivities, helping you train your German Shepherd puppy or dog with a delicate stomach
- Comes in a large tub great for storage and keeping them fresh longer
- Bite-sized morsels allow you to reward your dog during training sessions with ease
What Should You Do
As always, you should take everything into moderation. You want to spoil your pooch here and there, but you dont want to do it too much. Again, we always want our dogs to have a long and healthy life. You can check also check our guide to find the most popular dog foods in the market.
By giving them too much human food, it can cause them more harm than good. As always, you want to make sure that your canine isnt deficient in their balanced nutrition. Weve also created a list of popular German Shepherd foods;that your canine will enjoy. Again, you can feed your dog peanut butter here and there, but try not to do it all the time!
Also Check: Why Does My German Shepherd Look Skinny
How Much Peanut Butter Should You Feed Huskies
Understanding how much peanut butter you can allow your husky to consume can be the key to keeping them in optimal health. Peanut butter is not the best treatment for your husky so limited consumption is of utmost importance here.
Its generally recommended that you dont feed a pup more than one teaspoon a day or a full-grown husky more than one tablespoon a day.
Even with these specifications in mind, its always better to speak to your veterinarian and check whether your husky has any medical conditions that can make peanut butter consumption harmful.
Can A German Shepherd Eat Nuts Which Nuts Are Safe
Feeding the right food to your German Shepherd is the most important thing an owner should Know.
So Can A German Shepherd Eat Nuts? Nuts are Calorie dense and full of fat and they should not be a regular part of a GSDs Daily Diet because some nuts can cause digestive problems. However, German shepherd dogs can have nuts like Peanuts or Peanut Butter. Caution should be used with almonds and Cashews. Nuts Like Walnuts and Macadamia can be toxic for a dog and can cause Depression, Weakness, tremors, and joint pains.
Giving your dog some nuts twice a week is not a big deal. Just make sure you give them the right nuts in limited quantities.
A German shepherd is an intelligent dog breed and most dogs know what they should eat and what can cause them problems.
But there are some Particular canine companions who would eat anything you give them.
If Your German Shepherd is one of them then you need to be informed about any food that can harm your dog or which can be harmful to him.
Make sure you take any harmful food out of reach of your Dog. Take it tightly closed in a container.
Make sure you do not put any harmful food in the garbage because your German Shepherd might try to reach it.
Also Check: What Age Do German Shepherds Stop Growing
How To Feed Your Husky Peanut Butter
So now that you know huskies can eat peanut butter, lets address how you can feed it to them.
As is the case with all dog food and treats, there are certain feeding methods, tips, and tricks that ensure they get the most out of their meals. Therefore, in this section, we shall discuss some of the best ways in which you can feed your husky some peanut butter.
Give Them Plain Peanut Butter Spread
You can give your husky some plain peanut butter twice a day. Make sure the brand youre using does not contain xylitol as this can prove harmful even fatal for your husky.
Also, make sure you dont feed your husky more than one tablespoon of peanut butter per day.
Give Them Treats
Several reputed pet food brands now offer peanut butter or peanut butter flavored treats specifically designed for your dog. You can feed your huskies these as snacks or treats few times a week but in moderation.
We strongly advise you to conduct your background research on the brands youre purchasing from to ensure your husky is not allergic to any of the ingredients in these treats.